Go to the Main Business Forum page

A quick reminder.... This forum ain't for doing hatchet jobs on people.... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A quick reminder.... This forum ain't for doing hatchet jobs on people....

Dien Rice
October 11, 2001, 08:44 PM
I value the writings of all who post here. We have some very knowledgeable and experienced people who I respect and admire.

The truth is that not every program is for everybody. Just because a particular program may not be for you, doesn't mean that it isn't a perfect fit for someone else.

And vice versa.... Just because someone else didn't like something, it could still be perfect for YOU.

Let me share an example from the stock market.... As I've posted about before, I like to invest in the stock market using a Warren Buffett-style (value investing) approach. This approach requires patience -- you do your analysis, then you buy, and then you wait. And wait. And even wait some more. But you do make money with it, which is why I keep doing it.

I've explained this to friends, and I know many of them understand the technique. But they still prefer not to use it, but to trade in and out every week or so. They make less money doing it their way (we've compared), but it must be a personality thing. This stock market investment approach works, but it's not for everyone. It has to suit your personality. But just because it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean that it doesn't work!

Anyhow, different types of businesses are like this. For example, take a franchise. A franchise gives you a "formula" to apply. All you have to do is apply the formula. Day after day, week after week.

Many people love that! It's a proven way to make money. Others might find it boring. It depends on personality and skills.... But if it isn't right for one person, it doesn't mean that it's not right for someone else. It could still be PERFECT for someone else....

The POINT is that you can never generalize from one person's experience to everybody else.... Everyone's experience will vary to some degree.

That's my two cent spiel! :)

No personal attacks here please.

- Dien Rice

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page