Go to the Main Business Forum page

Go With Your Gut Feelings On Internet Marketing [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Go With Your Gut Feelings On Internet Marketing

Pages : [1] 2

Ricky Higgs
September 5, 2000, 10:39 AM
When I first started out selling on the Internet, much of what I tried did not bring the results the so-called experts preached on Internet marketing.…. Being an analytical type of person….I sat down one day and had a long hard think about what I was doing…
Was it me? ….Surely I was doing something wrong… Maybe I wasn’t marketing enough… Maybe I was not doing what the experts preached properly or to the letter tee?

Then I realized something that changed everything… Something I was not doing.
I was not listening to my “inner” self. …. Instead of using my own 22 years of what I already knew about business, marketing, sales and what makes people tick… I was being brainwashed by those who I thought had the answers to successfully selling a product on the Internet. I was blindly follow their advice, while all the time, deep inside a little voice was telling me “This won’t work…. This is not the way you would go about it… This is what you would do or change”.

For instance…. I was told to use a certain color scheme on my Web site that was guaranteed to please my visitors and project a professional appearance that would make them want to buy. Yet, in my mind… It never felt right… I wanted to use what I saw as being better… But, instead I followed their advice….. And their advice did not work.
Sales were far and few between. Then I said to myself, “Well I tried their way of doing it… and that did not work… So what have I got to lose…Hell, I’m going to do it my way,
I’m going with my instincts, my gut feeling, my experience and that little voice inside that we all have…. Guess what?…. It all started to happen… The sales rolled in… Finally, I saw that there was money to be made in the online dream I had believed existed for a very long time!

Never again would I follow someone else’s advice blindly WITHOUT first thinking it through myself. Hey, marketing is not rocket science, it is simply a discipline based on some fundamental teachings that never really change…. Because people themselves have not changed, only the mediums and technology. A headline, closing techniques, handling of objections, establishing buying motives, needs and wants or writing effective sales copy still works equally well today as it did when I was using those same core principles in my direct sales days over 20 years ago. The Internet medium of doing business is just that… another medium and not some new way of doing business with a whole new set of principles you’ve got to learn.

Just about all the online methods of promotion or communication are based or have an offline “real world” equivalent;

Banner ads…. Offline Billboards / posters / media ads
Email marketing… Offline direct mail
E-zine …. Printed offline newsletter
Viral Web marketing….. Modern chain letter concept
Search engine…. Offline phone book, yellow pages or directory/catalog
Links….. offline joint ventures / industry and business associations
Internet online chat …. Modern replacement for Ham /CB radio
Free downloads…. Offline samples / free giveaways
Ebook marketer’s Web site …. Full page newspaper or magazine advertisement.
Streaming video…. Television?
Discussion forum…. Expanded “letter to the editor/ self post/ help column in print media.

And the list goes on….

So when it comes to Internet marketing and sales… Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s a whole new ball game shrouded in mystery. Underneath that veil of technology it’s the same old strategies and age old marketing principles of common sense rehashed.
Bigger audience…. Faster communication… a level playing level for all…. The World’s largest shopping mall… Most comprehensive library encompassing the sum total of mankind’s knowledge… and many times a less costly means of promotion.

Use whatever you know to be true, what works, what has worked for you, coupled to any real world business experience you have under your belt, and most importantly listen to that little voice in your heart and mind and go with your “gut feeling”. Trust yourself,
And give it your best shot…. And you will be surprised at the results.

Warmest Regards

Ricky Higgs
Author of the ebook & interactive multimedia CD-ROM
"How to earn a good income from the Internet in just 14 days"

http://www.1website1.com
Sell Your Brain On The Net….And Make A Difference In A Child’s Life

Ricky Higgs ONLINE – Ebook & Marketing Forum
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/75048

Sell Your Brain On The Net...And Make A Difference In A Child's Life (http://www.1website1.com)

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page