Go to the Main Business Forum page

Who owns the rights....? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the rights....?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dien Rice
April 10, 2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Gordon,

> Once the painting is sold, do I as the owner
> get to make prints without his permission, I
> don't get this part of the Art biz...I'd
> prefer to "lock him down" and
> maybe be a rep for a % of his work??? Again,
> I'm just thinking at this point.

I'm not sure, but my guess would be you would need his permission to make prints, so perhaps you should inquire about this before you buy it....

I think it would come down to copyright law. I think even if you bought the painting, he still owns the copyright on it (as the creator). I think it's perhaps like buying a book - even if you bought the original manuscript, the author still owns the copyright.

I don't know for sure, but that's how it would look to me (from what I know about copyright law)....

I think any artist, however, would probably be happy to have others selling his or her works, where the profit is shared. He or she gets a cut, and you also get a cut of the profit.... This is the kind of thing I'm considering doing in the future with my "artist friend" I've mentioned earlier and some of his art work....

We were also thinking of doing LIMITED prints as well. I think the value goes up if the print run is strictly limited. Limited prints, though, can mean several thousand prints.

Thanks Gordon, this is a fascinating thread. :)

- Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page