Go to the Main Business Forum page

"You can't act, can't speak English, no one can say your name - and you want to be a movie star?" [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "You can't act, can't speak English, no one can say your name - and you want to be a movie star?"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dien Rice
April 14, 2002, 10:56 PM
This is a true success story, yet I believe it illustrates some of the fundamentals of success!

He couldn't act, and he spoke English with a very thick accent. Nobody could say his surname. Yet, he wanted to be a Hollywood star!

...And he made it!

Not only that - this was only one of at least THREE successful careers he has fashioned for himself. He is a millionaire many times over. (In fact, he was a millionaire before he became a Hollywood star.)

Who am I talking about. Remember this quote?

"Hasta la vista, baby!"

Arnold Schwarzenegger!

His first successful career was as a body-builder. He is someone who aims for perfection, and in body-building it showed in his perfect dedication to this sport. He won an unprecedented seven Mr. Olympia titles.

I knew I was a winner back in the late sixties. I knew I was destined for great things. People will say that kind of thinking is totally immodest. I agree. Modesty is not a word that applies to me in any way - I hope it never will.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, in Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder, 1979

His second successful career was in investing and business. Many people don't realize that Arnold Schwarzenegger made his first million dollars "on the side" through selling info-products and investing in property! (There wasn't much money in body-building at the time.)

In 1969, Arnold Schwarzenegger had literally just gotten "off the boat" from Austria in the USA, and he needed a way to make an income. So he started a bricklaying business with his fellow bodybuilding competitor, Franco Columbu.

The money he made from laying bricks financed a series of fitness books and cassettes, and Arnold Schwarzenegger got into the mail order business (under the influence of Joe Weider), selling training manuals and supplies.

The money he made from his mail order business in turn financed the purchase of an apartment block. This then led to a succession of lucrative real estate deals. This is how Arnold Schwarzenegger made his first million dollars by age 28!

When you think of successful mail order entrepreneurs and property investors, you don't tend to think of Arnold Schwarzenegger - but he is one!

And his third successful career, of course, was in the movies. He wanted to be an action star in the movies. While he had a great physique, just think of his drawbacks - his accent, his name, his lack of acting ability and experience. Yet, despite these setbacks, nowadays Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of the most widely recognized actors in the world!

When I was in Stay Hungry years ago, I said to myself, 'There is Clint Eastwood up there and Charles Bronson and Warren Beatty, so why not me too? It seems pretty empty up there, so what the hell? There is room for one more. I can squeeze in there'.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Arnold Schwarzenegger's life is an incredible success story. In my opinion, here are some of the factors which contributed to his success.

I believe he has very high standards in everything he does, whether it was bodybuilding, producing info-products, or making movies. He's a perfectionist.

He seems to have a natural talent for marketing and publicity. When he was bricklaying, he got customers to hire them by saying what they did was not just ordinary bricklaying - what they did was "Austrian bricklaying"!

I also think Arnold Schwarzenegger is a risk taker, he's not afraid to try new things.

And I think he has an incredible belief that if others can do it, why not him too? The following quote illustrates this well....

It is one thing to idolize heroes. It is quite another to visualize yourself in their place. When I saw great people, I said to myself, 'I can be there.'
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1979

Arnold Schwarzenegger is truly a self-made man.

I only found out these many details about Arnold Schwarzenegger's life quite recently.... I hope you're as fascinated by it as I was!

"I'll be back!"

- Dien Rice

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page