Go to the Main Business Forum page

Dumb question... but is it legally okay to resell other's works? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question... but is it legally okay to resell other's works?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Linda
May 22, 2002, 12:09 AM
Hi Gordon:

> The CHATTELING COURSE will be available in
> June. It will cost 197 dollars and include
> an audio, video, workbook and other goodies.
> What I'm looking for is to TRADE with anyone
> for any course they paid at least 197
> dollars for.

Dumb question, perhaps, but is it legally okay to barter (or trade) someone else's copyrighted work in return for an item of value.

If a dentist trades a root canal for your marketing course, you are each trading your own goods.

That's not the case if the dentist is giving you something that he does not own the copyright to, is it?

With software, that would be considered theft and piracy. But with print materials? Ebooks?

Let's say the marketing course is in printed format. If I go to Coles' and buy a Stephen King book and finish reading it, I am free to give it to someone else. But am I allowed to resell it and make a profit on it?

I don't think that's legally kocher, although I'm not really sure, and I do know that people do it at garage sales every weekend.

When it comes to infoproducts, though, which is a pretty touchy market to begin with, is the person that bought the "other" courses allowed to give them to you?

Perhaps they are, and it's a-okay to trade people's copyrighted work. I really don't know... but I thought it worth mentioning as food for thought, anyway.

Maybe the best idea would be for anyone interested in the trade to check the policies on the package they purchased to be sure?

Food for thought if nothing else.

: )
Linda

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page