Go to the Main Business Forum page

A lesson in timing (why you should never stop marketing) + a sneaky negotiating trick [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in timing (why you should never stop marketing) + a sneaky negotiating trick

Michael Ross (Qld, Aust)
April 10, 2003, 04:18 AM
Ring ring.

Hello?

Hello. I'm Sue. How are you today?

(Uh oh, a telemarketer)... Good. What can I do for you?

Do you want to save 20% on your phone bill?

Oh dear... you're being manipulative. Just tell me what you're offering and ask me if that's what I want.

We're offering to save you 20% on your phone bill. Is that what you want?

No. (click)

That was yesterday. Today, I got a letter from my phone company. The letter is telling me all about their new prices (all higher). Although, they don't say that... they say they are "simplifying" the prices so now there is just one price instead of different prices for different times of the day and different distances called.

Yesterday, I was NOT in the market for phone bill savings. Today, I AM in the market for reduced phone charges (or at least charges that are the same as I am currently paying).

Of course, the telemarketer got the TIMING wrong. But it is interesting.

IF the timing had been right, I would have at least listened to what they were offering.

On the other hand... the telemarkters could have saved a lot of money spent on phone calls and made far more sales if they had called after I had received my bad news.

TIMING is very important.

Onward to negotiating without negotiating...

My local airport sent a letter to ALL bus operators notifying them they had thirty days to come up with as much as $5,625 for a one year permit to pick up and drop off passengers at the airport.

There was a tremendous outcry. Such a high charge, without notice and such a short time to pay, could send the smaller operators out of business. And the larger operators who don't frequent the airport many times a day would be out of pocket, or force the passengers to walk off of the airport's grounds to get on the bus.

Well, the airport listened and has changed it to a user pays system - $5.50 toll per visit for larger buses and $2 toll for smaller buses, taxis and limos. Along with a $40 per year permit.

Everyone is happy.

Can you see how SLY the airport was?

If they had sent out the user pays notice, there would have been an outcry. By sending the outlandish notice first, they have had their user pays charges accepted willingly - almost thankfully.

Michael Ross

Discover The Great Ideas Letter (http://www.sowpub.com/greatideas/)

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page