Go to the Main Business Forum page

Competition??? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Competition???

J.F. (Jim) Straw
October 12, 2000, 10:39 AM
Gordon:

In your posting you mention one of my pet-peeves in business ... competition!

Having spent over 40 years of my life in the business world ... man & boy ... it never ceases to amaze me that business people still buy into the "competition" dilemna.

Business is NOT a competitive sport. Either you have, and can provide, what the customer wants (or need) or you can't.

In the paper & ink newletter business, I have for 25 years recommended other newsletters to my subscibers ... even if those newsletters were direct copy-cat versions of my own efforts. -- My feeling is that if that newsletter can take a subscriber from me then that newsletter must offer something more than I can provide to that reader.

Funny thing though ... time after time, newsletters I have recommended to my readers have denegrated my own efforts. Their purpose, of course, was to "beat" the competition (me). But, I have noticed over the years that those who make the greatest attemepts to "beat" their competition have the shortest life spans in the industry.

As for me, I have no competition ... on contemporaries.

Jim

The Cold-Blooded TRUTH about Mailorder! (http://www.businesslyceum.com/mailorder.html)

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page