Go to the Main Business Forum page

Re: Question for investors, traders...and investment types (and for Michael Ross too!) [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question for investors, traders...and investment types (and for Michael Ross too!)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rick Smith
October 24, 2000, 03:37 PM
Gordon wrote -

> HOW do I get information about/from the
> companies across the country or around the
> world...information that might be useful in
> picking some undervalued type stocks...

One of my favorite teams in the investing game is the brother/brother team of David and Tom Gardner. You might not recognize their names but you might recognize their brand. They go by the name of "The Motley Fool." It was from this pair that I learned about index funds and why, in the long term, index funds have historically beat all other mutual funds. Period. (Their basic schtick is the Warren Buffet method with a few twists. In fact, Buffet is mentioned many times in their writings.) I have several of their books. The latest is called "Rule Breakers, Rule Makers." This one is a little different than the others. In this book, they discuss some methods to use once your basic long term investing is in place and doing well. They also cover some information that might apply to what you're asking. In fact, I was impressed enough with it that I considered writing a software app to track the types of things they discuss. You can also check out their web site at fool.com. They have a section on there for Rule Breakers and Rule Makers. They also have several discussion boards where you can pose questions that might get you the answers you seek.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page