Go to the Main Business Forum page

Is this the end of middle-men and middle-women? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end of middle-men and middle-women?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dien Rice
November 2, 2000, 09:36 PM
I've been investigating, exploring, and discovering the possibilities of international trade lately.... Like the story from Joe Cossman I posted earlier.... The potential rewards look very exciting....

In my investigations of this, I was recently talking to someone who used to be involved in international trade in the 1960s, working for Connell Brothers, a US-based company with branches around the world. (And I'll be talking to an importer quite soon too, to get the ins and outs of the game....)

Essentially, the Connell Brothers company acts as import and export agents (that is, they don't carry any stock apart from samples), though sometimes they also act as importers and exporters (where they do carry stock).

Anyway, remember this guy was doing this back in the 1960s. He mentioned the possibility that the internet may be doing away with the middle-man or middle-woman, at least in international trade, since the internet has made it easier for the manufacturer to deal directly with the importer or retailer....

Do you think the internet will make "middle-men" and "middle-women" disappear from our system?

Is this another occupation that will disappear due to technology?

Will they become obsolete?

I'd appreciate your thoughts....

Dien Rice

Some recent posts on the forum...

[CaRP] This appears to be an HTML webpage, not a feed.

This is a SOWPub Archive page